Add a gorgeous pop of red, white, and blue to your Independence Day menu with this colorful, refreshingly delicious and incredibly simple salad from Hamptons event planner Eric Gunhus of EG Event Group.
Summer sweet watermelon and blueberries pair perfectly with fragrant feta and the olive oil in the dressing.
- 7 to 8 cups seedless watermelon, cubed
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries - plus more to taste
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese - plus more to taste
- Fresh mint and basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 juiced limes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (we love Nicolas Alziari Cuvée Prestige from Citarella)
- 2 tablespoons of local honey to taste
- 1 or 2 pinches of sea salt
- Prep the dressing ahead of time by combining ingredients in a mason jar and shake until well combined. You can adjust to taste.
- Cube the watermelon and feta -- this can be done ahead of time as well.
- When it’s time to serve, place the cubed watermelon, blueberries, and half of the crumbled feta in a large bowl.
- Add the mint and basil, then toss with the dressing.
- Top with the remaining feta and garnish with more mint and basil leaves if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Eric’s tips for finding a perfectly ripe watermelon…
Look for a yellow spot on your melon. This “field spot” shows that the watermelon ripened on the ground. A white or green field spot means it is under-ripe. Tap it and listen for a resonant, hollow sound. It should feel heavy, indicating it’s a juicy one!